Universal's Epic Universe
|Location||Universal Orlando Resort, Orlando, Florida, United States|
|Operated by||Universal Parks & Resorts|
Universal's Epic Universe is an upcoming theme park being constructed as part of the Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida. Its construction was announced in August 2019. It was originally scheduled to open in 2023, but was delayed in April 2020 to 2024 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. By July 2020, the project was delayed indefinitely.
The theme park will be located a few miles south from the existing resort, within a larger 750-acre (300 ha) site south of Sand Lake Road and east of Universal Boulevard.
NBCUniversal announced on August 1, 2019, that it was building a third theme park as part of the Universal Orlando Resort. Without releasing details, Tom Williams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Universal Parks & Resorts, said Epic Universe would be the company's "most immersive and innovative theme park." Comcast and NBCUniversal officials said it would create an additional 14,000 jobs, including professional, technical, culinary and other specialized positions. A possible opening date for the park was not immediately announced.
As of August 2019, details about the rides have not been confirmed, but concept art released by Universal portrayed at least two roller coasters, several indoor rides, large lakes, and a towering hotel. It is unknown which franchises will occupy Epic Universe. In addition, the park will also feature an entertainment center, hotels, shops, and restaurants. On January 24, 2020, a Comcast executive confirmed rumors that a Super Nintendo World themed land would be included in the park.
- Cox Media Group National Content Desk (July 31, 2020). "Coronavirus: Construction of Universal Studios' 'Epic Universe' theme park shelved". WFTV.
- Meredith, Michelle (July 30, 2020). "Universal's Epic Universe on hold". WESH.
- "Universal Orlando Resort Announces Ambitious New Theme Park" (Press release). Universal Orlando Resort. August 1, 2019.
- "Orlando's next theme park, Universal's Epic Universe, will open in 2023". Orlando Weekly. Retrieved March 12, 2019.
- Russon, Gabrielle; Hudak, Stephen (April 30, 2020). "Universal Orlando's new Epic Universe theme park will be delayed because of coronavirus pandemic". Orlando Sentinel.
- "Universal's new Epic Universe park delayed due to virus outbreak". WESH. April 30, 2020.
- Dobrzyn, Erin (April 30, 2020). "Universal pauses construction on new Epic Universe theme park amid coronavirus pandemic". WKMG.
- Russon, Gabrielle; Bevil, Dewayne (August 1, 2019). "Universal's Epic Universe theme park is coming to Orlando, ramping up war with Disney". Orlando Sentinel. Tribune Newspapers. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Andrew, Scottie; Ries, Brian (August 1, 2019). "Universal Orlando announces new Epic Universe theme park". CNN Travel.
- "Super Nintendo World will be part of new Universal theme park". WESH. January 31, 2020.