University of Kansas School of Law
|University of Kansas|
School of Law
|Dean||Stephen W. Mazza|
|Location||Lawrence, Kansas, U.S.|
|USNWR ranking||67 (2020)|
|Bar pass rate||78.12%|
|ABA profile||ABA Profile|
The University of Kansas School of Law is a public law school located on the main campus of the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. The University of Kansas Law School was founded in 1893, replacing the earlier Department of Law, which had existed since 1878. The school has more than 60 faculty members and approximately 332 students. The school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. 
With over 370,000 volumes, the Wheat Law Library at the University of Kansas School of Law is the second largest and oldest law library in the state of Kansas.
Centers and programs
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon Center for Excellence in Advocacy
- Polsinelli Transactional Law Center
- Tribal Law and Government Center
- Advocacy Skills Certificate
- Business and Commercial Law Certificate
- Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law Certificate
- International Trade and Finance Certificate
- Media, Law and Technology Certificate
- Tax Law Certificate
- Study Abroad Program
Ten clinical and field placement programs permit students, acting under faculty supervision, to develop legal skills and learn professional values in actual practice settings: Criminal Prosecution Field Placement, Elder Law Field Placement, Judicial Field Placement, Legal Aid Clinic, 6th Semester in Washington, D.C. Externship, Medical-Legal Partnership Field Placement, Paul E. Wilson Project for Innocence and Post-Conviction Remedies, and Tribal Judicial Support Clinic.
Publications at the University of Kansas School of Law
- The Kansas Journal of Law and Public Policy
- The Kansas Law Review
- KU Law Magazine
- Dean's Note
The first-year curriculum includes Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts, and Property. In addition, students take Lawyering I and II, legal writing classes designed to teach legal research and writing in a context that emphasizes professionalism and practical skills. All first-year students have one of their classes in a small section of approximately 20 students, providing an informal learning atmosphere.
According to The University of Kansas official 2017 ABA-required disclosures, 68.6% of the Class of 2017 obtained full-time, long-term, bar passage-required employment nine months after graduation. 
The total cost of attendance (indicating the cost of tuition, fees, and living expenses) at the University of Kansas for the 2018-2019 academic year was $39,274 for residents of Kansas and $55,438 for residents of other states. 86 percent of students received grants for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Sheila Bair – Former Chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Valerie L. Baldwin – Assistant Secretary of the Army (Financial Management and Comptroller) (2004-06)
- Mary Beck Briscoe - Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Sam Brownback – United States Ambassador-at-Large for International Religious Freedom, former Governor of Kansas, former United States Senator for Kansas (1996-2011), former Member of Congress representing Kansas' Second Congressional District (1995-96), former Secretary of the Kansas Department of Agriculture (1986-1990)(1991-1993), and former White House Fellow under President George H.W. Bush (1990-91).
- Jerry Moran – United States Senator for Kansas and former Member of Congress representing Kansas' First Congressional District (1997-2011).
- Carol Beier – Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court
- Chris Biggs – former Kansas Secretary of State
- Robert Coldsnow, Kansas state legislator
- Howard Engleman – All-American basketball player at Kansas
- Lawrence E. Meyers - Judge of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals since 1993; based in Fort Worth
- Robert H. Miller – Chief Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court (1988-1990)
- Carlos Murguia – Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- Janet Murguia – President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Council of La Raza
- Mary H. Murguia – Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Lawton Nuss – Chief Justice of the Kansas Supreme Court
- Julie A. Robinson – Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Kansas
- David Stras – Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Major General Clyde J. Tate II – Deputy Judge Advocate General of the United States Army
- "University of Kansas". Best Graduate Schools. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "University of Kansas" (PDF). Standard 509 Information Report. ABA. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "University of Kansas". Best Graduate Schools. U.S. News & World Report. Retrieved 19 February 2019.
- About KU Law
- KU Law at a glance
- Wheat Law Library
- LSAC Law School Description
- Course descriptions
- "ABA Employment Summary Class of 2017" (PDF). Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- "Tuition and Expenses".
- "KU Law Official Guide" (PDF).
- "Judge Lawrence "Larry" Meyers, Texas Court of Criminal Appeals: Place 2 (D)". The Texas Tribune. Retrieved December 16, 2014.