Sidi El Hani
Sidi El Hani
Commune and town
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
Sidi El Hani (or Sidi Al-Hani) (سيدي الهاني) is a town and commune in the Sousse Governorate, Tunisia located at 35.67n, 10.30e. As of 2004 it had a population of 3,058. It gives its name to the largest lake of the governorate, a natural salt lake or salt pan (sabkha) in dry seasons, the Sebkhet de Sidi El Hani which is shared with between one and two other areas depending on precipitation and its maximum extent forms the official boundary with part of a third, Monastir Governorate. The town is 30km south-west of the coast, its straightest connection being by Tunisian Railways, with a secondary connection by road, the P12 road which is a principal road to Kairouan from the A1 a few kilometres to the east. it is 19km from Kairouan and 26 km from Raqqada and .
During the Roman Empire Sidi El Hani was a Roman town of the Province of Africa Proconsularae. The remains a large amphitheater are still seen. The town was known as Quartz August (Street of Augustus) or vicus Augustii (the Village of Augustus) and was active from 30 BC to AD 640.
- (in French) Recensement de 2004 (Institut national de la statistique) Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Jean Baptiste Bourguignon d' Anville, Compendium of Ancient Geography, Volume 2 (R. Faulder, 1791) p834.
- Vicus Augusti at Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- Hitchner, R. ,Places: 315259 (Vicus Augusti?).
- Frank Sear, Roman Theatres: An Architectural Study(OUP Oxford, 2006) p290.
- VICUS AUGUSTI, Sidi el-Hani (Africa Proconsularis).
- Barrington Atlas, 2000, pl. 33 F1.
- Quartz August Tunisia (Africa) .
- Apostolische Nachfolge – Titularsitze.
- entry at gcatholic.org.
- entry at catholic-hierarchy.org
|This Tunisia location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|