Princess Wilhelmine of Baden
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Grand Duchess consort of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Tenure||6 April 1830 – 27 January 1836|
|Born||21 September 1788|
|Died||27 January 1836 (aged 47)|
|Issue||Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine|
Marie, Empress of Russia
|Father||Charles Louis, Hereditary Prince of Baden|
|Mother||Landgravine Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Princess Wilhelmine of Baden (21 September 1788 – 27 January 1836), was by birth Princess of Baden and by marriage Grand Duchess consort of Hesse and the Rhine.
In Karlsruhe on 19 June 1804, Wilhelmine married the then Hereditary Prince Louis of Hesse-Darmstadt. The union proved to be unhappy due to Louis' affairs, and they separated after the birth of their three older children.
In 1820 she acquired the Heiligenberg Castle, where she met her chamberlain Baron August von Senarclens de Grancy, with whom she maintained a longtime affair; her last four children, including Alexander and Marie, were believed to have been fathered by Senarclens de Grancy, although they were recognized by Grand Duke Louis II as his own. In 1830, following her father-in-law's death, she became Grand Duchess consort of Hesse and the Rhine.
- Louis III of Hesse-Darmstadt (9 June 1806 – 13 June 1877).
- Stillborn son (18 August 1807).
- Prince Karl Wilhelm Ludwig of Hesse-Darmstadt (23 April 1809 – 20 March 1877).
- Princess Amalia Elisabeth Luise Karoline Friederike Wilhelmine of Hesse-Darmstadt (20 May 1821 – 27 May 1826).
- Stillborn daughter (7 June 1822).
- Prince Alexander Ludwig Georg Friedrich Emil of Hesse-Darmstadt (15 July 1823 – 15 December 1888)
- Princess Maximiliane Wilhelmine Auguste Sophie Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt (8 August 1824 – 3 June 1880); the future Empress consort of Tsar Alexander II of Russia.
Her descendants included both Tsar Nicholas II of Russia, and his wife, Empress Alexandra Feodorovna, as well as, King Felipe VI of Spain, Lord Mountbatten of Burma, and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. pp. 38 (father), 69 (mother).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Wilhelmine of Baden.|
- Egon Caesar Conte Corti: Unter Zaren und gekrönten Frauen. Schicksal und Tragik europäischer Kaiserreiche an Hand von Briefen, Tagebüchern und Geheimdokumenten der Zarin Marie von Rußland und des Prinzen Alexander von Hessen. Editorial Pustet, 1949.
- Wilhelmine Louise, princess of Baden in: geneall.net [retrieved 5 February 2016].
Princess Wilhelmine of BadenBorn: 21 September 1788 Died: 27 January 1836
Title last held byLouise of Hesse-Darmstadt
| Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine
16 April 1830 – 27 January 1836
Title next held byMathilde Caroline of Bavaria