Wyoming High School Activities Association
|Motto||"Educational Excellence Through Activities"|
|Headquarters||6571 East 2nd Street|
Casper, WY 82609
|Affiliations||National Federation of State High School Associations|
The Wyoming High School Activities Association (WHSAA) is the organization that runs and regulates all interscholastic high school activities in the U.S. state of Wyoming. The WHSAA was founded in the 1920s to regulate athletic competition between Wyoming's high schools. The organization has since grown to assist other interscholastic activities such as drama and music.
The WHSAA divides schools based upon enrollment of grades 9, 10, 11 and 12 for competition and state and regional championships. For most sports including football, basketball, and volleyball schools are divided in one of four classes, 4A, 3A, 2A, or 1A. The schools having the highest enrollment are put into class 4A and those with lower enrollment are put in other classes. In other sports like soccer and swimming, there are only two classes, 4A and 3A, while in golf, cross country and wrestling there are three classes, 4A, 3A, and 2A. For other sports, including tennis, indoor track and skiing, there are no classes.
Many of the championships for sports activities are held in one central place, while other are held in different locations and these change from year to year. Championship events that are held in one central location include the following.
- Football - held at War Memorial Stadium (Wyoming) on the campus of The University of Wyoming in Laramie
- Basketball - held at The Casper Events Center and The Swede Erickson Thunderbird Gym on the campus of Casper College both in Casper - Tournaments are split between two weekends with the 1A/2A schools competing the first weekend and the 3A/4A schools competing the second weekend
- Track and Field - held at Harry Geldien Stadium on the Campus of Kelly Walsh High School in Casper
- Volleyball - held at The Casper Events Center and The Swede Erickson Thunderbird Gym on the campus of Casper College both in Casper
- Wrestling - held at The Casper Events Center in Casper
The WHSAA classifies its activities into athletic and non-athletic events.
- Non-Athletic Events
- DECA (organization)
- The National FFA Organization
- Marching Band
- Spirit Activities
- Student Council
- Athletic Events
- Alpine Skiing
- Cross Country
- Indoor Track
- Nordic Skiing
- Track & Field
- Girls Volleyball
- "WHSAA Background". Wyoming High School Activities Association. Retrieved 2014-03-05.
|This article related to sports in Wyoming is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|