This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||20 December 1940|
Madanapalli, Madras Presidency, British India
|Known for||Indian Classical Dance|
|Awards||Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri1980|
Yamini Krishnamurthy was born in Madanapalli, Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh. She was born on a half moon night, and her grandfather named her Yamini Poornatilaka, which means "a full mark on the brow of night." She was brought up in Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu. Her mother tongue is Telugu.
Yamini Krishnamurthy debuted in 1957 in Madras. She has the honour of being Asthana Nartaki (resident dancer) of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam. Some critics have observed that Yamini’s dancing reflects rhythm personified. She was also known as "torch bearer" of Kuchipudi form of dance.
She has a leading place as an exponent of Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi. She imparts dance lessons to younger dancers at her institute, Yamini School of Dance, Hauz Khas, New Delhi.
Her manager is Shiv Ganesh.
She released her autobiography, "A Passion For Dance", a book well received by the readers.
Yamini Krishnamurthy has never been married.
Her dancing career brought her many awards, including the Padma Shree (1968) Padma Bhushan (2001), and Padma Vibhushan (2016), which are among the highest civilian awards of the Republic of India. She was honoured with "Natya Shastra" award by Shambhavi School of Dance at "Nayika-Excellence Personified" on the occasion of Women's Day on 8 March 2014. She gave a lecture demonstration on "Contribution of Woman to Kuchipudi". She also released a Kuchipudi Dance DVD featuring Prateeksha Kashi who is the daughter of Kuchipudi Dansuse Smt.Vyjayanthi Kashi, artistic director of Shambhavi.
- 'A dancer must have tremendous personality. A God like Christ and even a godman like Rajneesh had some personality. Combination of talent, dedication, creativity and being emotive is imperative. A coupling of these four qualities with technique is essential. Monotony is deterrent as it regards your style and I notice today, that new dancers perform in a startlingly similar fashion.'
- 'The past has been exciting, the present extremely challenging. As for the future, it holds a lot of promise and many surprises. And I cannot wait to unravel them!'
- On remaining unmarried, she said 'Marriage did not happen because it was not meant to be. As for children, all my disciples are my children.'
- "Kuchipudi ambassadors". The Hindu.
- PTI. "Pratibha presents Sangeet Natak Akademi fellowships, awards". The Hindu.
- "The Tribune — Windows — This Above All". tribuneindia.com.
- Padma Shri Awardees
- Padma Bhushan Awardees
- "Lecture Demonstration at Nayika, Bangalore". www.thehindu.com. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Yamini Krishnamurthy in "Naykia-Excellence Personified"". www.narthaki.com. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Yamini Krishnamurthy Confer with Natyashastra Award". www.buzzintown.com. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yamini Krishnamurthy.|
|This article about someone associated with the art of dance is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|