Young Democrats of America
|Young Democrats of America|
|Founded||March 4, 1932|
|Mother party||Democratic Party|
|International affiliation||International Federation of Liberal Youth|
The Young Democrats of America (YDA) was founded in 1932 as the official youth arm of the Democratic Party of the United States. YDA operates as a separate organization from the Democratic National Committee; following the passage of the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, it became an independent 527 organization. The group's membership consists of Democrats from ages 14 to 35, and its political activities include an emphasis on increasing the voter turnout of young people.
YDA membership elects seven national officers biannually at the organization's National Convention in odd-numbered years and two DNC representatives in even-numbered years. These officers maintain the day-to-day management of the organization. Most recently, officers were elected at the 2019 YDA National Convention in Indianapolis.
Between national conventions, the governing body of YDA is the National Committee which is composed of the president and two national committee representatives from each chartered unit, along with the chairs of the twelve constituency caucuses, eight regional directors, eight chairs of select committees, and the nine individually elected officers.
The President, Democratic National Committeeman, and Democratic National Committeewoman are members of the Democratic National Committee, and superdelegates to any Democratic National Convention occurring during their terms.
- President: Joshua Harris-Till of Oklahoma
- Executive Vice President: Carrie McFadden of California
- 1st Vice President: Quentin Wathum-Ocama of Minnesota
- 2nd Vice President: Mohammed Tazbir Alam of New York
- 3rd Vice President: Terri Chapman of Alabama
- Secretary: Rebecca Pinn of Massachusetts
- Treasurer: Dunixi Guereca of California
- Democratic National Committee Representative: Jamarr Brown of Texas
- Democratic National Committee Representative: Christen Hebrard of California
- Chair of the Association of Chartered Unit Presidents: Charles Myers of Wisconsin
- Chair of the Council of Region Directors: Hannah Wroblewski of Nebraska
Democratic party leaders and Democratic elected officials who are former YDA National Officers include:
- U.S. Representative Steny Hoyer
- Former U.S. Senator Warren Magnuson
- Former U.S. Representative Allan Turner Howe
- Former Mayor of Little Rock Mark Stodola
- Former Mayor of New Orleans Chep Morrison
- Former Secretary General Parliamentary Assembly of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe R. Spencer Oliver
- Former Chattanooga City Councilman and Tennessee Democratic Party State Executive Committee Member Chris Anderson
National Convention, National Committee, and chartered units
The YDA organization is composed of "chartered units" with one from each U.S. state or territory. YDA holds a National Convention every two years during the summer of odd-numbered years with complex rules for how many votes each chartered unit may cast. The YDA National Committee meets at least two times per year and consists of the President of each chartered unit, two representatives of differing gender identities from each chartered unit, and a number of other officers and committee and caucus chairs.
Past National Conventions
Past YDA National Conventions were held in the below venues:
- 2019: Indianapolis, IN
- 2017: Dallas, TX
- 2015: Los Angeles, CA
- 2013: San Antonio, TX
- 2011: Louisville, KY
- 2009: Chicago, IL
- 2007: Dallas, TX
- 2005: San Francisco, CA
- 2003: Buffalo, NY
- 2001: Tucson, AZ
- 1999: Little Rock, AR
- 1997: Miami, FL
- 1995: New Orleans, LA
- 1993: Merrillville, IN
- 1991: St Louis, MO
- "Young Democrats of America – Marin County Young Democrats". WordPress. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
- Connery, Michael. Youth to Power: How Today's Young Voters Are Building Tomorrow's Democratic Majority, ig Publishing, 2008 ISBN 978-0-9788431-3-7
- "National Officers". Young Democrats of America. 2019-10-16. Retrieved 2020-12-15.