Zombieland: Double Tap
|Zombieland: Double Tap|
Promotional teaser poster
|Directed by||Ruben Fleischer|
|Produced by||Gavin Polone|
|Music by||Black Strobe|
|Edited by||Dirk Westervelt|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
Zombieland: Double Tap is an upcoming American post-apocalyptic zombie comedy film directed by Ruben Fleischer and written by Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick and David Callaham. A sequel to Zombieland (2009), it features Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, Abigail Breslin and Bill Murray all reprising their roles from the first film, joined by series newcomers Zoey Deutch, Avan Jogia, Rosario Dawson, Thomas Middleditch, Luke Wilson and Dan Aykroyd.
Talks of a Zombieland sequel began before the release of the first installment, with Reese and Wernick suggesting ideas and the cast voicing their desire to make a second film. However, the project languished for several years before finally being confirmed in July 2018. The four main stars and Fleischer all signed on that month, while additional cast members—including Dawson, Middleditch and Wilson—joined in early 2019. Filming took place from January to March 2019. Produced by Columbia Pictures, it is scheduled to be released in the United States on October 18, 2019, by Sony Pictures.
After the events of the first film, Columbus, Tallahassee, Wichita and Little Rock move to the American heartland as they face off against evolved zombies, fellow survivors and the growing pains of the snarky makeshift family.
- Woody Harrelson as Tallahassee
- Jesse Eisenberg as Columbus
- Emma Stone as Wichita / Krista
- Abigail Breslin as Little Rock
- Zoey Deutch as Madison
- Avan Jogia as Berkeley
- Rosario Dawson as Nevada
- Thomas Middleditch
- Luke Wilson
Due to Zombieland's success, writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick have planned a possible sequel, with many more ideas they want to explore. "We would love it, and everybody involved creatively wants to do another one," said Wernick. "Woody Harrelson came up to us after the final cut of the last scene and gave us a hug and said, 'I've never wanted to do a sequel in the previous movies I've done until this one.'" Wernick said he plans to have Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin star again with Ruben Fleischer returning as the director and that the writers have "tons of new ideas swimming in their heads." Additionally, they want to make the comedy into an enduring franchise. "We would love to do several sequels," stated Wernick. "We would love to also see it on television. It would make a wonderful TV series." From this, they wrote a TV pilot, starring a different cast, released in April 2013 on Lovefilm and Amazon Video.
Reese and Wernick do not want to reveal any potential Zombieland sequel plot points. They are not planning on an immediate sequel, due to being heavily involved with other writing projects. The original cast and director are all set to return and Fleischer is enthusiastic about the idea of doing the sequel in 3D. Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenberg confirmed in February 2010 their return for the second installment of the series. In 2010, Fleischer stated that he was working on the screenplay and the creators have begun searching for another "superstar cameo."
In July 2011, Jesse Eisenberg said that he was "not sure what's happening" with the sequel but that the writers were working on a script for Zombieland 2. Eisenberg expressed concern that a sequel would no longer be "relevant." Woody Harrelson said that he was also hesitant to do a sequel, saying that "It's one thing to do it when it came out real good and it made a lot of people laugh, but then do a sequel? I don't know. I don't feel like a sequels guy."
In February 2016, Reese and Wernick were announced to be writing the sequel. In August 2016, Reese and Wernick confirmed that they were working on Zombieland 2 and meeting with Woody Harrelson to discuss the film, while stating "all the cast is pretty excited."
In March 2017, it was revealed that the script for Zombieland 2 had been completed. When asked by Screen Rant, Wernick and Reese said:
It is [in active development]. We're trying to get it going. All of our cast have read the script and love it. Ruben is signed on. It's just a matter of making our cast deals and making it for a budget number. All the cast have become superstars now so, we made Zombieland with 20 million, so it's trying to fit that financial model into the sequel model so it makes sense for the studio and being able to pay the actors what they now get paid and deserve to get paid. We see Tom Rothman pretty frequently now and we're pestering that dude. He's like, 'Please, enough with the Zombieland talk!' We're pestering him the way we pestered Fox on Deadpool. We're not letting it go. We really want to see Zombieland 2.
In May 2018, Woody Harrelson confirmed Zombieland 2 would probably happen.
On July 13, 2018, Zombieland: Double Tap was officially greenlit by Sony Pictures. Rubin Fleischer would return to direct while Eisenberg, Harrelson, Stone and Breslin had finally all signed on to reprise their roles. Sanford Panitch, president of Columbia Pictures, declared in a press release:
This is one of those projects that fans have wanted to see happen for a long time—and no one wanted to see it happen more than Emma [Stone], Woody [Harrelson], Jesse [Eisenberg] and Abigail [Breslin]. These are some of the most in-demand actors, and I think they are making this movie because they love these characters. We are thrilled Ruben [Fleischer] was willing to come back to direct the sequel, as his work on Venom has been truly amazing.
In November 2018, Zoey Deutch and Avan Jogia joined the cast. In December 2018, it was confirmed that Bill Murray would return for the sequel, once again playing a fictionalized version of himself, and that Dan Aykroyd, who co-starred with Murray in the Ghostbusters films, had joined the cast of the film, also playing a fictionalized version of himself. In January 2019, Rosario Dawson joined the cast of the film. Thomas Middleditch and Luke Wilson joined in February.
The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on October 18, 2019. It was originally set for an October 11, 2019 release, which would have been the 10th anniversary of the original film's release.
- "Zombieland 2 Title Reveal". Twitter. January 29, 2019. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Exclusive: Dan Aykroyd And Bill Murray Set To Join 'Zombieland 2'". GWW. December 31, 2018. Retrieved April 22, 2019.
- Samuel Zimmerman October 2, 2009. Directions to Zombieland Archived October 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine Fangoria. Retrieved October 31, 2009.
- Ditzian, Eric (October 5, 2009). "'Zombieland' Team Hopes To Make A Sequel 'Everyone involved creatively wants to do another one,' says screenwriter Paul Wernick". MTV. Viacom. Retrieved November 7, 2009.
- O'Connell, Michael (April 17, 2013). "Amazon's 'Zombieland' Hits Web Before Pilot Release (Video)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- White, James (April 18, 2013). "Zombieland TV Trailer Online". Empire Online. Retrieved April 19, 2013.
- Drewett, Meg. "'Zombieland' TV series not picked up by Amazon after "hated" pilot". Digital Spy.
- Clint Morris (November 24, 2009). "Exclusive : Zombieland 3D!?". Retrieved November 28, 2009.
Believing "the genre really lends itself to [3-D]," and convinced—via what we're hearing and seeing of Avatar—the technology is now there, Fleischer's very keen to throw a few zombie gizzards in our direction. "Dead" cool, right!?
- Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 By Tatiana Siegel Bloody 3D sequels planned the film's producer, Gavin Polone. "I don't think you want to see Ordinary People in 3-D. But Zombieland is clearly one movie that will benefit from (the technique)."
- "'Zombieland 2' Promises to Have Blood Flying in Your Face". Bloody Disgusting.
- "Progress Update on 'Zombieland 2 3D'". Bloody Disgusting.
- "'Zombieland 2′ Is Cameo Hunting; Plus Early Plot Hintse". /Film. November 27, 2010.
- Tyler, Josh (July 5, 2011). "Zombieland 2 Isn't Dead But Jesse Eisenberg Isn't Sure It's Still Relevant". Cinema Blend.
- "Woody Harrelson Says 'Zombieland 2′ Isn't A Guarantee". Screen Rant.
- Davis, Edward (February 22, 2016). "Listen: 'Deadpool' Writers Discuss PG-13 Version Of The Movie, 'Zombieland 2,' And More In 90-Minute Talk". IndieWire. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Comicbook, Joe (August 29, 2016). "Paul Wernick And Rhett Reese Confirm They Are Currently Working On Zombieland 2". Comicbook.com. Retrieved August 29, 2016.
- Michael Kennedy (March 23, 2017). "Zombieland 2 Writers Reveal Script is Completed". Screen Rant. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Hardiman, Jess (May 22, 2018). "Woody Harrelson Confirms 'Zombieland 2' Will 'Probably Happen'". LADbible. Retrieved May 26, 2018.
- 'Zombieland 2' A Go At Sony; Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg & Abigail Breslin On Board
- 'Zombieland' Sequel a Go With Emma Stone, Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin (Exclusive)
- Kroll, Justin (November 27, 2018). "Zoey Deutch Joins 'Zombieland' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (November 30, 2018). "Avan Jogia Boards Sony's 'Zombieland' Sequel". Deadline. Retrieved December 3, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (January 29, 2019). "Rosario Dawson Set To Co-Star In Sony's 'Zombieland' Sequel". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Thomas Middleditch Joins 'Zombieland' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
- Luke Wilson Joins 'Zombieland' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
- Matt Joseph (January 21, 2019). "First Zombieland 2 Plot Details Tease New Zombies And More". We Got This Covered. Retrieved January 21, 2019.
- "Zombieland 2: Double Tap". Production List. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- Haring, Bruce (May 10, 2019). "Cult Classic Sequel 'Zombieland 2: Double Tap' And Cop Drama 'Black And Blue' Move To Late October Releases". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- Pedersen, Eric (July 18, 2018). "Sony Moves Tarantino's Manson Pic, Dates 'Zombieland 2' & 'Little Women'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 19, 2018.